Monday 16 May 2016

JERMAIN DEFOE GETS PHILOSOPHICAL OVER EUROS SNUB

JERMAIN DEFOE has expressed his “disappointment” over his Euro 2016 snub.
The Sunderland striker scored 15 Premier League goals to save the Black Cats from the drop, with Harry Kane and Jamie Vardy the only Englishmen to net more.
But Defoe, who earned the last of his 55 Three Lions caps in November 2013 against Chile, was overlooked in Roy Hodgson’s initial 26-man squad.
Defoe's 15 goals kept Sunderland in the Premier League
Defoe's 15 goals kept Sunderland in the Premier League Reuters

Jumping for joy...but it won't be happening in France next month
Jumping for joy...but it won't be happening in France next month Reuters

And the Black Cats star, 33, admitted: “Obviously when you are not in it, it’s a disappointment.
“I feel like I did everything I could do.
“I was delighted that we stayed up and, on a personal note, delighted with the amount of goals I scored.
“I’m quite relaxed about it because I haven’t been involved for a while.
“I always thought that to get in an England squad for a tournament is based on merit and as a forward, if you score goals, you have a chance of going.
Defoe celebrates a Sunderland goal with Fabio Borini
Defoe celebrates a Sunderland goal with Fabio Borini Getty Images

Over and out...Defoe's England career looks to be at an end
Over and out...Defoe's England career looks to be at an end Griffiths Photographers

“So towards the end of the season I started thinking about England. People were starting to mention my name about maybe getting into the squad.
“But before, I wasn’t really thinking about it, I was so focused on trying to help Sunderland stay in the Premier League.”

No comments:

Post a Comment